Monday, November 7, 2011

Outside my kitchen window, children played hide-and-seek. I had to laugh at some of their funny hiding places.

Many decades ago, I played their game. Into my mind flashed hiding places that felt cozy enough to sleep in. Others were cramped, cold and hard. Like some of the challenging places God assigns to His children today, I thought.

My hiding place in God -- the place or circumstance where He keeps me safe in Him -- may not always be comfortable by my finite human standard. But whether pleasant or painful for the moment, it fits His plan for my growth, ministry and protection. There, "under the shadow of the Almighty," I am safe from stalking enemies from the inside (such as pride, anger and self-indulgence) as well as the outside (all the threats and troubles of today's changing world).

Because He drew me to Himself and saved me through the Cross, He will continue to guide and train me. He always does -- in His chosen places.

My King may use any part of His creation to keep me in His presence. By hiding rebellious Jonah three days in the belly of "a great fish," He provided safety from the sea, proof of His sovereignty, and the personal humbling needed for Jonah to follow God's command.

By hiding Israel 400 grueling years of slavery in Egypt, God unified His people and guarded them from the rising corruption in Canaan, their ultimate destination.

I trust that He will always choose the hiding place for me that best prepares me for tomorrow's challenges. It may not look or feel like a hiding place designed by my Father's wise and loving hand. But as I rest in Him, He will accomplish His purpose.

"I will give you the treasures of darkness," my King assures me, "and hidden riches of secret places, that you may know that I, the LORD, who calls you by your name, am the God of Israel."

God, my wonderful Lord and King, is my Hiding Place today and forever. Yet, every day I have a choice to make: Will I rest peacefully in His plan and provision? Or will I try to run from Him as Jonah did. If I would be foolish enough to turn away, I trust my Shepherd to remind me, and I had better listen as He tests the firmness of my faith:

"Am I a God at hand... and not a God afar off? Can any hide himself in secret places that I shall not see him?" Jeremiah 23:23-24

My heart's desire is to live in total union with my King -- every hour of every day. And since "[I] have died with Christ," my "life is hidden with Christ in God." When I rest in Him, I am confident that "in the time of trouble He shall hide me..."

That precious promise is repeated again and again in His Word. Those who belong to Him are safe no matter what lies ahead. Shepherd-king David knew that. In the midst of a flood of painful circumstances, he cried out to His Lord:

"Oh, how great is Your goodness, Which You have laid up for those who fear You, Which You have prepared for those who trust in You In the presence of the sons of men! You shall hide them in the secret place of Your presence...
Blessed be the Lord, For He has shown me His marvelous kindness!" Psalm31:19-21

In Him alone I am safe!

There, I will "be still and know that He is God!" Psalm 46:10

[Berit Kjos ~ Kjos Ministries]

No comments:

Post a Comment